Sunday, June 15, 2014

Inspiration in the background and Damon Albarn

Hey everyone,
today I'm not sharing anything I've made, I will probably post some later this week.
I just have a thought or two though regarding inspiration.  Although my inspiration comes randomly at times and flashes or glimpses of it can be triggered by a leaf moving in the wind or attentively inspecting a brush stroke on a canvas, there is another form of inspiration that other artists pursue intentionally as much as I do.  It is almost transcendental and it's hard to pinpoint, but it's there in everyone's mind: music.

I often take it for granted, but music has been in the background of an art session almost constantly. Very rarely complete silence presides in my studio when working. I've always had a song or a soundtrack playing while I work on either jewelry or painting or in my college years sculpture and ceramics.  I've always felt music speaks to me even if I am  not attentively listening as sometimes is just the pure melody of a song that guides the brush in my hand or the wire wrapping around a bead.

On Friday I had a reminder of all that when I watched Damon Albarn performed with his new band at the fabulous Fox Theatre in the Egyptian Room.  Although at first I was disappointed that he wasn't performing in the main wide beautiful fairy tale room ( the one that has the starry sky for a ceiling if you've been there before), I later appreciated the intimacy of that tinier space.  I soaked up every note, every word and every subtle piano strike of his amazing new solo album "Everyday Robots", and I wouldn't have in the starry room.  I also had the for a while forgotten realization that his music has been a huge part of my life as I listened to Blur and The Gorillaz in my youth quite a bit.  Somehow I believe the music and the lyrics guided my work as a co-product of God's inspiration (He inspired them and they inspired me).

One particular song stroke a nerve, the final song he performed to be exact (even though all of them were pretty amazing) "Heavy Seas of Love" and it reminded me that this artistic journey of mine is supported by my husband and when the time comes for me to quit my daily job I will be safe.  I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful family having my back.  Also this song reminded me that we all have "radiance" inside of us that we often don't acknowledge. It is s a very powerful thought.

And with that very thought I leave you this weekend...
Happy Father's Day for all fathers out there (including my daddy)

What music inspires you? How does it relate to your work?  I'd love to see your comments.

Cheers!









2 comments:

  1. As soon as I started reading this post from you, I realized that's what's been missing in my creative space lately as silence has permeated the space. It's been awkward and uncomfortable. I immediately turned on my pandora before even finishing reading what you'd written. Thank you!
    Oh, and yes. . .the Fox is AMAZING! I can't wait to get back up there sometime to see another concert there and soak in the beauty of the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post inspired you, I think other forms of inspiration are crucial to our own artistic development, plus music really guides our Arts, at least I feel that my pieces look different according to the spirit of the different melodies. Perhaps this is why I tend to listen to music that I feel is constructive, positive and devoid of derogatory innuendos, unless sometimes it's a narration of the musician's experience...

      Delete